Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Oklahoma, No!

MDC is presenting the musical Oklahoma April 21st. The director asked if I would be interested in playing the cello part. After a quick skim of the score, I had to decline - wayyy too much chromaticism and funny keys (5 sharps/flats) for me at this point in my cello career :)

One of the pianists at chamber music class wants me to do the Swan with her. Will see, first I have to find the notes, play in rhythm, and then I have to make it sound acceptable. I only have 3 more rehearsals before the actual recital to get all these elements in place.

4 comments:

gottagopractice said...

I am continually inspired by how you are embracing your cello adventure. I might have said "yes" to Oklahoma, but there is no way I would even consider playing The Swan in public!

Terry said...

The Swan in three rehearsals? Good luck, but like gottagopractice, I would have opted for Oklahoma. Safety in numbers, y'know. Yes, difficult sight reading, but once you've been through it a few times, you know what's important and what you can relax on because no one will hear you over the trumpets, trombones, and full screaming chorus, anyway.

MMG said...

Ho ho, you guys think there's safety in numbers. Not when I'd be the only cellist playing the Oklahoma. I told the director I might consider it if there was another cello player to help me out but I wouldn't try it by myself.

As for the Swan, it's still a big "we'll see". The pianist is all gung-ho to do it, but the teacher hasn't heard us play it yet :( On the other hand its only two minutes of brutal torture versus 8 rehearsals and 3 shows of Oklahoma.

gottagopractice said...

LOL! Two minutes of brutal torture! Who wouldn't sign up for that!? <g>

Yes, there is safety in numbers, even when you are the only cello in a pit band. There are lots of places where the cello line is covered, lots of places where the cello is the rhythm section and not too hard (if you are good at rhythms) and lots of places where you can judiciously re-write your part so it's more manageable, if necessary. And look - you would have 11 tries to get it right <vbg>!