Saturday, March 29, 2008

Essay Workshop

This morning I went to an essay workshop that is meant to prepare folks for passing their Teachers Certification Exam. I've always done well in English classes but the last time I had to write a formal essay was probably in 1976. So I thought it wouldn't be a bad idea to take a refresher course.

I'm glad I went to the workshop. The teacher was a hoot and there were some things I had forgotten. Especially nowadays, where brevity is usually considered the most important part of writing for the web. Commercial websites have to telegraph their message to attention deficit cliental.

I've always had an unornamented style of writing. One teacher of mine called it "stark". So I'll have to force myself to think a little differently. For homework, I have to write an essay on "a famous person that children use as a role model" in 50 minutes. Oh dear, I think I'm already experiencing writer's block!

Click here for my notes regarding essay writing for GKT, FTCE

No comments: