Monday, July 9, 2007

Wild Swans

Finished "Wild Swans" which was a memoir running from the turn of the century to 1990. A slow read with a lot of sad stuff. I wonder if there are any memoirs written by Chinese men. This is the third book I've read about Chinese history that was written from the women's point of view.

Working up Prior Learning Assessments towards the BA. Getting all the materials together will take time. Tomorrow, I'll take out Velina and try to get her warmed up again. Poor girl's been neglected for almost a month.

Also distracted with more travel plans. Got word from my husband that we needed to reserve the hotel for Istanbul already even though the stamp show isn't until October. That started the planning domino effect -- started making plane reservations for visiting a friend at the end of July, Baltimore for the end of August and Chicago for mid-November.

Airfare for Istanbul runs around $900. I'll have to call Amex membership rewards and see if I can get a reduced fare. I'm planning on going a few days earlier than my husband to visit Cappadocia. Its a perfect place for me to visit alone as my husband doesn't want to go into any underground cities or float in a hot air balloon.

Looked at Rosetta Stone, Lesson 1 for Turkish. It's a strange language. A few words make sense like "adam" for man, kedi (kitty), and banya. The rest I haven't been able to connect to anything yet in my head.

1 comment:

Maricello said...

I was expecting this post to be about your learning "The Swan"! Hope you find time and finger strength for the cello again soon.