Wednesday, March 4, 2009

First Cello Lesson


I was blessed today with a visit from Emily Wright. She graciously showed me a few things and suggested that I move away from the violinistic right hand position. She showed me an exercise to help with the switch.  R would disagree but I think I shall make the attempt. She thought my bow hand looked pretty good. We also covered thumb position and breathing. She suggested humming or speaking the notes to help with breathing out while playing.  Thus went my very first cello lesson. Who knows, maybe I'll see her again when she does her Northeastern tour.  


Emily's overview on thumb position. Note: Play close to the bridge. First finger can actually stop the string from the right side of the string rather than just pressing down.  She showed me all this is in slow motion.  This video was taken afterwards just as a memory aid.


2 comments:

Guanaco said...

What a treat that must have been!

Emily said...

She didn't post the part where I smacked her around a bit. :) It was so much fun, I could have gone on for hours, but she insisted on shuttling me upstairs so I could have the best lasagna known to man. It was a great night! Maybe I should just be a wandering pedagog, teaching some cello, eating great food all over our amazing, wild country.