Thursday, August 16, 2007

Brain Music

Finished reading the neuroscience study on music. Looks like there's hope for all of us who practice really really hard. One only has to put in 10,000 hours to become a good musician--that's only 3 hrs a day for ten years. Appears its just like folks in school used to say -- talent is 98% perspiration and 2% inspiration.

Music seems to be closely related to social and courtship activities. The fittest of the species were able to withstand the rigors of dance and music making and therefore got the most dates. Guess that's why young girls go crazy for rock stars.

3 comments:

Guanaco said...

I figure I've got about 1200 hours so far. That means I'll need another 12 to 15 years to reach that magical number. Ah well.

cellodonna said...

Well phooey! ... I'd be half way there if I'd practiced for 3 hours a day the past 5 years. But unfortunately 3 hours a day on the Internet for the past 5 years is probably closer to reality.

Thank you for the anniversary wishes.

Anonymous said...

Oh dear now I feel guilty for doing only about 1 1/2hrs a day....that means 20years in all....and I've been learning for 20 months...so that means I'll be...how old??