Saturday, April 18, 2009

A Couple of Musicals

This month I had the opportunity to see two musicals.  One was "I love you, you're perfect, now change" done by the local community college which was cute and well-done.  Even hubby liked it.

The second was courtesy of a friend who had a ticket she couldn't use.  So today, I traveled the 20+ miles, navigated the closed interstates and dodged through huge crowds to see "Jersey Boys".  I had no idea what the musical would be about -- I like to come in "cold" on these things.  Okay, I'm told it's about a guy named "Frankie Valli" and the "Four Seasons".  I scan through the playbill looking for a song I'd recognize.  Sherri sounds familiar.  Anyway, lights come on and its blasting "rap-style" music.  HUH? Then the story begins, I can now unplug my ears and by the time the climatic "Can't take my eyes off of you" is sung I'm sucked in.  Actually, I do recognize that song from those sappy tunes I listened to as a kid. The book was fun for someone who wasn't part of that generation;  I understand for the rest of the audience it was like travelling back in time.

No comments: