Tuesday, September 11, 2007

So Far So Good

At last, finally got to play a little chamber music tonight. The new strings behaved and stayed in tune (even if I didn't) Managed to sight read cold a few notes which seemed to impress the folks from last year.

I'll get to play the infamous Pachebel. That's just fine for me -- it will be a good exercise for long bows, shaping phrases, and following the first violin. Also, the teacher wants the notes to swell and fade. So far I have two other pieces to work on -- a simple piano trio and a Telemann Sonata.

2 comments:

cellodonna said...

I recenlty got a whole new set of strings too. (after 5 years for most of them) It makes a big difference in the tone and the "ringing."

Pachelbel's Canon gets a lot of bad press. Probably because it's so repetitious and also overplayed. Fur Elise for piano has a similar reputation. But those pieces are pretty anyway. (That's why they're overplayed) I actually enjoyed playing Pachelbel at our holiday concert last December. I think I even mentioned it in one of my posts at that time. It was the easiest one of the bunch, and I could stay in first position for the whole thing which at that time made me very happy, since that was the first time I ever played in a concert.

(see my comment below re piano pedal)

CelloGirl said...

The last time I played Pachelbel with the string quartet, it was in a wedding. They placed us in an area where the bridegrooms stood...which blocked our view of the aisle. We didn't know when to stop playing! Thankfully, since I had the same 8 notes to play, I was able to stretch my neck to look around 6 guys and see when the bride was ready to walk down so I could cue us to stop. Thank you Pachelbel!