Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Brute Force Memorization and New Strings

New cello strings arrived. I was happy to replace the terrible "D" string that I had picked up locally. As I removed the "G" string, I noticed that it was unwinding at the top -- probably was the next to go. Biggest improvement is in the new "C" & "G" strings. It's much easier now to hear the ringing tones. Who knows, maybe my intonation will improve now.

Music History Classes have over twenty pieces of medieval music to memorize. I've decided to burn CDs with each piece repeating for thirty minutes and play a few of these per day until I know which is which.

Piano class introduced the pedal yesterday. I've never used a pedal before. Teacher says I'm stomping the pedal too hard.

2nd chamber music class tonight, hopefully, the strings will hold their tuning.

1 comment:

cellodonna said...

Keep your heel on the floor as you pedal. Just lift the front part of the foot ... sort of like the gas pedal. Once you get the hang of it you won't really have to think about it much anymore.