Thursday, April 19, 2007

Learning Russian

Been trying to learn Russian for about a month now to prepare for the trip to St. Petersburg in June. Listening to Pimsleur in the car twice a week and got a new program called Unforgettable Languages (UL) which uses a link-word system to help one to memorize words.

The "Before You Know it" Flash Cards I downloaded from the internet are nice because you can write the word on your keyboard.

I also have Rosetta Stone.

The only one I have been good about keeping up with is the Pimsleur.

My pronounciation drives my husband crazy. He took Russian back in college 40 years ago...

Hopefully now with classes ending, I can devote more time to the language CDs.

1 comment:

Pam said...

I found this blog link through a post on an Internet Cello Society forum. I began studying cello five years ago, and I love it; I hope you find that endeavor rewarding.

I studied Russian in college in the late 1970s. It's been a long time with little or no practice, so I am practically a beginner all over again. During the past couple years I've gradually returned to that interest, as well, and have recently found some Internet sources that are useful and fun. Thanks to a pretty fast online cable connection, I can listen to radio stations from Russia. Even though I don't understand much (yet!), it's good practice to hear so much native, conversational pronunciation. I've found some programs for which archived transcripts are available, so that I can listen and follow along with the text at the same time. Here's the link to the station I listen to most frequently:

http://www.radiorus.ru/

Also, here is a page of educational resources published for teachers of Russian...as an adult learner, you may find things here that meet your needs and interests, too:

http://www.humnet.ucla.edu/russian/TeacherRes.htm

Best wishes,
Pam