Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Recital and Sightreading Critique

Received this e-critique from Chamber Music Teacher today...

I thought your intonation was fairly decent. I wish that I had recorded the performance. It seemed that we both played softer, which helped overall. It also seemed that you played with generally more staccato articulation. I think that helped too.

I noticed that my doubling your part has a huge influence on your playing. The next step is to work toward independence, feeling secure when you’re the only one on the part. You can get the rhythm and tempo from the other instruments while being aware of the fact that they are playing something completely different. When we were sight-reading, the difference in your playing when I dropped out was pretty obvious. But I still stand by my statement that you’ve come a long way in your sight-reading and, as Earl mentioned, in your rhythmic security.

1 comment:

Guanaco said...

My playing also improves significantly when my teacher doubles with me. However, she assures me that playing well by myself will come, eventually...

Congratulations on the successful performance.