Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Miscellany and Medieval Music

Took a break from taking course quizzes online this evening. Broke my TV hiatus and caught the premiere of "Pushing Daisies" this evening. Looks like a cute show.

Practiced remedial rhythm work today for a violin piece "Silesian tunes for 4 violins". I'm stuck playing this in Chamber Music class and there's a slightly tricky passage off the beat. If one misses where to come in, there's a good chance of being lost for four measures. Also dusted off the viola and tried to remember how to read "C" clef.

Got one answer wrong out of fifteen on the first listening test of medieval music. I was too focused on Leonin Viderunt Omnes and when I heard a melisma, I automatically assumed it was Leonin. That being over, there's another 18 pieces to memorize by October 15th's test.

Finished writing an essay for my other online music history course Sunday. It wanted research on a composer -- so I did it on troubadour "Bernart de Ventadorn". Downloaded 12 songs off the internet, found the lyrics and some translations. Found out that my college ID card gets me access to JStor articles online. That may prove useful for my next term paper.

Chugging along on the keyboard. Working on my fourth music piece and now the more awkward scales like F#. Bass clef is much easier to read these days. In the old days when I attempted to play the piano, I'd memorize the left hand part.

Last week was bad for cello practice -- I missed practicing several days!
Boring stats:
9.22.07 - Scale and bow exercises (C G D A, F Bflat, Eflat)
9.23.07 - No practice
9.24.07 - No practice
9.25.07 - Chamber music class
9.26.07 - No practice
9.27.07 - Scale and bow exercises, practice chamber music pieces
9.28.07 - Review Swan, still having passages that I don't seem to be able to get memorized, practice chamber music pieces
9.29.07 - Scale and bow exercises.
9.30.07 - No practice
10.1.07 - practice chamber music pieces
10.2.07 - bow exercises. Chamber music class
10.3.07 - practice chamber music pieces

2 comments:

Maricello said...

Sounds like you are keeping busy! One of these days I'd like to take a music history or music appreciation course, though I have mixed feelings about those term papers!

cellodonna said...

I admire your hard work and dedication. You've done so much in just a short time. (and you found some time for TV too!)