Monday, October 8, 2007

Coursework or Cursework?

This is for any of you who may have experienced "education envy".
Try these music history class homework questions on for size.

1. Name and explain several ways in which the structure of Notre Dame organum was determined by features of the chant.

2. Compare and contrast the main features of the medieval motet and polyphonic conductus.

3. Discuss the Franconian motet in terms of its compositional style, the relationship among the texts, its use and modal rhythm (if any?) and the treatment of the chant and voice.

Just looking at the questions hurts my head.

----
As for piano class, that teacher probably figured out that I hadn't practiced the easy piece assigned last week until this morning before class. Therefore she assigned a more challenging piece this week that I won't be able to fake having worked on.

2 comments:

Maricello said...

My head hurts too, Marisa, just to look at those questions. You have made me happy that the only class I am taking right now (besides cello lessons) is "Basic Drawing." :-)

Good luck with your studies and your piano practicing.

I am so sorry to hear of the loss of one of your lovebirds. Can you find a new mate for Hamlet, or do lovebirds only come in pairs?

cellodonna said...

I hope your textbooks have glossaries. :)
I can't even figure out what that "stuff" means. ("stuff" = I was watching "Leave It to Beaver" reruns on Sunday afternoon!)

Notre Dame? ... you mean the university?

Best of wishes with all of your classes and studies.