Friday, November 26, 2010

Cello Thoughts

A friend asked me the other day about my cello playing. I tried to explain that I had an upcoming recital that was way too hard for me. The friend said "Can't you just practice more?". Truth be said, this is a hobby not a vocation.

I'm probably not willing to put in more than an hour a day. Trying to explain it to my friend helped me understand the process better. If something is too hard -- that is -- I don't have the skill set for it, it is like trying to lift 50 pound weights. If I am used to doing 5 to 8 pound weights for 20 reps at a time, no matter how much I "practice", I'm not going to be lifting 50 pound weights anytime soon.
Another example, I gave was, that practicing the cello is like running a marathon. Playing an instrument not only requires knowledge and musicality, it's also very physical. Playing too much hurts if you're not used to it.

4 comments:

Guanaco said...

I like the comparison to running a marathon... only it seems to be all uphill with no finish line.

I find that not only is there a physical limit to how long I can practice in any given day, there also seems to be a mental limit as well - I call it "musical energy".

MMG said...

I don't think it is entirely uphill and even though there may not be a finish line there are milestones :)

Maricello said...

It helps to choose music appropriate to your level, so that there is just enough challenge to keep it interesting and just enough "easy stuff" to make it doable.

Playing music that is clearly too hard for your skill set (even if it was selected for you) is frustrating and discouraging.

There is much fun to be had along the way, as MMG said.

As for physical limits, it has been suggested that you take a short break every 20 minutes or so to at least stand up and walk around.

Unknown said...

I so agree with your explanation. It is very physical indeed, it requires more strength. playing for more than my usual 30 min to 1 hour a day exhausts me so much.